Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ukrainian Sand Art

The horrors experienced by those living in the former USSR during World War II are still extremely difficult to talk about in the former Soviet nations. Having lived in this part of the world for a short time, I have met sons and daughters of parents who survived work camps in Kazakhstan and Siberia who have shared with me their personal histories surrounding this tragic time.

I recently found this YouTube video clip from "Ukraine's Got Talent" where a young woman - I guess we could call her a "sand artist" - documents the personal history of a fictional (?) couple from pre-war to post-war. I don't want to give away too much, but this form of art is absolutely astounding and I've never seen anything like it. Very, very impressive. See for yourself:

No comments:

Post a Comment