Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Cut It Out!" or "The Flight to Copenhagen"

Yes, some might say that my trip to Copenhagen got off to a bad start. Sitting in the Seattle airport, about a hundred other people and I all waited to board our plane to Washington, DC. Finally, my announcement came: "Now boarding Zone 2 passengers." Even if I barely noticed what I was doing considering it was 6:30 am, I knew enough to realize we were right on time. Standing in line to get on the plane, I spaced out as most of us do in these situations. Then, within 5 seconds of my stepping onto the plane, a woman comes up to the front of the airplane aisle and says to the flight attendant, "Umm, excuse me, but I found this on my seat."

The box cutter - not really famous for cutting boxes anymore since it gained notoriety as the weapon of choice for the 9/11 hijackers. That's right, folks. As the woman handed the box cutter to the flight attendant, she apprehensively took it from her with that phony "buh-bye" smile and tried to laugh it off like it was nothing - "Oh my! Haha, well I guess I'll take that. Haha."

Now I personally could give a rat's ass whether we decided to go even though some airplane worker accidentally left a potentially deadly instrument on a passenger's seat (I'm assuming.) What makes me really angry though, is how Zones 3-5 continued to be boarded after the weapon's discovery, only to all be told half an hour later (mid-slumber, mind you) that we all had to de-plane for safety reasons, taking our baggage with us. Duh.

We ended up leaving about an hour and half after our scheduled departure, which put me in a hot spot because my layover in DC was only about 2 hours. As soon as we landed, I rushed to the international terminal, waited for the gate clerk (that's right, I wasn't even checked in yet) and was extremely relieved to find out that I was in fact going to make the flight. I arrived mid-boarding though, so my stomach was not so happy with me as I had not eaten any breakfast, just assuming I would grab lunch in DC. There went that plan.

The flight to Copenhagen was great, however. We were given two meals (much to the relief of my empty stomach) and had our own personal television screens - I watched half of Star Trek before I almost started poking my eyes out and listened to the Scandinavian Music Channel to get in the appropriate mindset.

We arrived in Copenhagen around 7 am local time. I walked out of the terminal, bought a Metro ticket (after about 10 minutes of intense thinking... "What are all these funny letters?"; "How many zones until my stop?"; "Why isn't this in English?"), hopped on said Metro, and started my journey into Copenhagen's city center...

No comments:

Post a Comment