Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hawai'i Do You Smell So Bad?

Price of deodorant getting you down? (You never know.) Well, for those in Honolulu, it may be well worth the $3 or so to buy a stick; and not just for the aromatic side effects. Those running late for work who forget to apply some smelly goodness under their pitty-pits in the morning could be facing their own stinky dilemma: a fine to the tune of $500.

The Honolulu City Council is currently considering a bill that would essentially ban body odor on public transit. You heard me right. Not only could offenders get slapped with a $500 fine, some of the more serious offenders could potentially be facing jail time. That's right - neglect to use bars of soap and you'll be behind a different kind of bars altogether.

Now, as a part-time deodorant wearer (I'm convinced deodorant is bad for you, so I wear it like every other day depending on who I'm seeing or what I'm doing - don't judge), I'm not so sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I totally understand. When you're on a bus or subway car, you are in super close quarters with everyone and everything and every scent stands out. Someone who is seriously stinky really can ruin it for everyone. On the other hand, however, I see a serious problem with local government imposing laws governing how you must smell - this is crossing a serious line.

So what is a Stinky Stinkerson residing in Honolulu to do? I say if the law passes, everybody should stop wearing deodorant, stop showering and stop washing their clothes in protest. Arise, Honolulu odor anarchists, stand up for your rights - namely your right to smell like a gym sock if you want to. That's right Honoluluians (whatever), I'm encouraging you to incite a stink riot!

I seriously doubt that a law like this could pass today, but it wouldn't be the first time I "underestimated" the "system". After all, California did pass Proposition 8 and that, in my opinion, was just as ludicrous. If the law does pass, will it start a trend across the nation? What are the consequences of forbidding something natural like body odor? 20 years from now, will "public body odor" be the new "public peeing"? I guess we'll just have to wait and see... or smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment