Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Midnight (10:58) Train to Oslo

Wednesday, September 23, 10:49 pm:

Have just sat in my seat on the train. Am taking an 8 hour overnight train ride from Bergen back to Oslo. This time, the scenery will be absent as it's way too dark outside to even try to glimpse a intimidatingly gorgeous mountain.

I made a stupid mistake. Decided I wanted to leave a day earlier, so I bought a 199 NOK ($33) train ticket for tonight. Went in after to get my refund for my 1,099 NOK ($150) ticket only to find out that it was non-refundable. So, have essentially wasted $150. Lovely. However, I did overhear a guy in the hostel today who was planning to buy a sleeper ticket for tomorrow night. Told him of my dilemma and he bought my ticket off me for 400 NOK ($68). He got a great deal and I got to feel a bit better about being a massive idiot. Oh well, I suppose these things happen when we travel. Can't expect everything to be perfect.

11:30 pm (maybe?):

Have just overheard an American girl (why are they always American?) on the train talking about being a vegetarian. She doesn't believe it's for everyone - at least being a total vegetarian. "I don't believe in absolutes," she says. Well, you're absolutely annoying Princess Granola. She sounds like she just got on the train from Santa Cruz, not Bergen. Good God! Eating meat is bad for the planet and bad for you, she says. At least I can agree with that one (even if I have stuffed some burgers and hot dogs down my throat since landing in Europe - they're so cheap!)

Midnight (whatever, I have no idea, but it sounds accurate):

I wish I could permanently feel the vibrations of the train beneath my socked feet - like a portable device that would just always deliver this sensation under my feet whether walking, sleeping or sitting. So gooooood.

It's late, that's all I know:

There's no way I'm getting any sleep tonight. These girls are so loud near me and I can hear them through my iPod earphones. And now my earlobes are sore from too much wear so that's not really even an option anymore.

2:30 am:

I should have paid another $100 for a sleeper. This sucks.

6:05 am:

Well, I didn't get much sleep, but it did go by surprisingly fast. Will arrive in Oslo in 10-15 minutes. I can't think anymore, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment