Friday, September 11, 2009

Camera Ready!

As the days drew closer to my Scandinavia trip, I decided a couple of weeks ago that it was about time to invest in a better camera. Don't get me wrong - I love my deep purple Nikon CoolPix point and shoot (it was the last color in the store and it was a replacement for an older, broken one, so stop judging); however, I figured it was about time for me to get a bit more sophisticated in my photography skills.


Before I bought my new camera, had you asked me anything about cameras other than how to function the zoom or show the pictures to your friends immediately after taking them so you can hysterically laugh at their drunk faces, you would have been barking up the wrong tree. Well, guess what? Woof, woof, y'all! I now know approximately 7% more about cameras than I did before, all thanks to my recent purchase.


Now, my Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS and I got off to a rough start. Basically, I kept missing her delivery and the FedEx people refused to leave it in my apartment lobby without a signature. So, I had to hustle my ass all the way down to Auburn (45 minutes away) to pick her up from the FedEx distribution center. Now that's love.


But it was worth it. Now, the EasyShare Z712 IS is far from being a truly sophisticated DSLR, but it IS a great camera for beginners to the new grade - or so I read. Well, I decided to take my new camera out on the town today to test her out and push her buttons. Talk about success. I love her! She's compact, totally easy to use and has incredible zoom. In fact, the lens sticks out so far I wouldn't be surprised if she is actually a he.

I went down to Pike Place Market and just fooled around a bit to see what results I could get. Not only do I feel like I have more camera credibility just by carrying her around, once I uploaded the pictures I could immediately see better results in quality, lighting and color (and I'm colorblind!).

So, here's to the excellent Scandinavia pictures of the future, which I will of course share with you here as well.

Shout out to my favorite street performer, Bagpipe Boy, who (according to his sign) is playing on the streets to get money for tuition - although a couple of weeks ago, he was raising money to compete in Scotland. Either way, I gave him a dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment