Monday, September 7, 2009

Travel Tales: Vancouver, Canada

Oh, Vancouver... I think I love you.

Despite the lousy weather and post-game aches and pains, the trip to Vancouver was a huge success. The Buzz (my softball team) placed 1st after the first day of play with 4 straight wins. Great bats, awesome team work and fielding as well as (tooting my own horn!) 1 home run from yours truly. After the "Round Robin" play (which basically determines your seed in the tournament - ours being 1st), we lost our first game. As for me, it turns out gravy fries and grilled cheese plus some excellent brownies don't mix well with running the bases. Bad news.

Sunday came, bringing along a bunch of rain, wind and pain in our bones. I have been battling a sore groin muscle for the past couple of weeks, so I applied some IcyHot right before we played and five minutes later felt the immense pain that accompanies IcyHot on your privates. I now know what chlamydia must feel like. Anyhow, we played our hearts out against a Vancouver team that we love, the Heat, I got another home run (toot toot toot!) but we lost, which unfortunately booted us out of the tournament.

So, instead of advancing, we drank beer and laughed obnoxiously with one another while watching other teams play their games.

Softball aside, the trip was great. Went to a bunch of local bars along Davie Street: Pump Jack's, Pulse, Oasis, Odyssey, and Numbers (the last 3 being the best of the bunch). We ate some great food at Moxie's, Characters, and Cafe Luxy (pesto gnocchi was unbelievable). I also ate a pretty decent vegetarian "Benny" (eggs benedict on an English muffin) this morning at the local Hamburger Mary's. We met some awesome people through softball and at the bars, and all in all, just enjoyed a nice relaxing weekend.

If you have yet to visit Vancouver you should definitely include it in your future plans. They're hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics too, which should bring a ton of tourism and fun activities. It's my #1 favorite Canadian city and am very happy that it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment