Saturday, November 14, 2009

I Most Certainly Approve: Paris, Je T'aime

A few years ago, I saw the film "Paris, Je T'aime" - a collection of short films put together into one movie. They've recently created a "New York, I Love You" in the same vein, but I've heard that it's not nearly as good.

There was one segment of this film that stuck out to me when I first saw it. The segment is called "14th Arrondisement" and it's directed by Alexander Payne ("Election", "Sideways"). It revolves around a middle-aged white, American woman traveling Paris for the first time, all by herself. It's humorous and a bit silly, but it packs an emotional punch that hits you out of nowhere. At first you start to laugh along with the absurdity of this woman's experiences, but by the end you want to cry.

I've often felt the way this woman feels when I travel abroad on my own. I love it for the independence and freedom to do what I want, when I want; however, there are definitely times when I see something or do something that makes me wish I was there with someone else. Being with another person to share in the overwhelming beauty of a landscape or the incredible discovery of a new food is something that cannot be matched.



I also love this clip because the woman's French is so awful that I don't even have to read the subtitles. I can literally understand every word she is saying in French and it makes me happy to know that I haven't lost it all.

This segment ("Le Marais" by Gus Van Sant) rivals the other for my favorite of the compilation. All in all, a movie definitely worthy of renting if you haven't seen it already. I most certainly approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment