Saturday, October 24, 2009

Song of the Mo: "I Wanna Be in the Cavalry"

Let me first start off by admitting that, yes, technically this is country music. And, yes, the video is super lame.

I first heard of the Corb Lund Band (from Canada - is it still considered "country" now?) a couple of years ago on a rainy day in Seattle (surprise!). I was sitting in my car having just parked in front of Jamba Juice, when this song, "I Wanna Be in the Cavalry" popped up on NPR. Now, if you don't already know this, if a song is on NPR, it obviously has instant credibility and is totally legit in terms of quality. Duh.

I loved the background banjo strums, the song's theme, the confident, yet subtle vocals. It was in direct contrast to the rain dropping on my windshield. It took me back to the civil war and AP US History. I dug it.

Well, today it popped up on my iPod in a shuffling playlist and it took me right back to the first time I heard it. I have a really bad memory to begin with, so when a song can do this, it tells me it really is a good one.

They have some other great songs too. If you like this, check out "Good Copenhagen" and "Time to Switch to Whiskey".

2 comments:

  1. Love the song! I don't think the video is lame. Are you going to see the band when they play the Sunset Tavern in a few weeks? Their new album is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea they were playing here soon. How exciting. Maybe I will!

    ReplyDelete