Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Lofty Speech, A Lofty Promise, and A Lofty Ultimatum

I've certainly given Barack Obama a hard time on my blog when it comes to his slow progress with gay rights, especially the discriminatory, completely obsolete "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" military policy.

I will admit, it was refreshing to hear his speech to the Human Rights Campaign over the weekend. He basically confessed to doing an inadequate job (without saying those words exactly) and made a pretty clear promise that he would end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (by actually saying those words exactly). As far as I'm concerned, it truly is only a matter of time now - after a statement like that, if nothing moves on this policy he will lose support from gay groups and individuals across the nation with no chance of ever getting it back.

Schwarzenegger also signed a bill declaring each May 22 as Harvey Milk Day in California, the equality march drew thousands of people to DC, and I've been seeing a lot of positive movement on Referendum 71 up here in Seattle (the referendum that would basically make the "Everything, But Marriage" policy totally valid).

These things, they take time. But it's important to realize that they also take courage, solidarity and unwavering relentlessness. Indifference is inaction and inaction is insane. If you read my blog, are my friend or know me through some other arena, please understand that I mean this even at the risk of losing your readership or friendship - if you don't believe that I have the right to legitimate marriage, equal rights and equal recognition in the eyes of the law, then you don't believe in me.

There's no compromise on equality and no exceptions to discrimination. You can't love black people, except for that whole sharing water fountains thing. You can't love Jews, except for that whole don't believe in Jesus thing. And you can't love gays and lesbians, except for that whole marriage thing. If you don't let me show my love the same way you can, then you don't really love me. No exceptions.



No comments:

Post a Comment