Friday, August 14, 2009

Scandi-lous!

After months of sitting in Barnes and Noble, flipping through guide books and drinking way too much iced tea (it's how I celebrate summer), I have finally taken the plunge. Yesterday, with my hands over my eyes, I clicked the "Purchase" button on a trip that will take me from Seattle to Copenhagen for 16 days.

For some reason, I have always had an intense desire to see Scandinavia. People always ask me why? Well, it's totally unfounded. I am not of Scandinavian descent, I don't know anybody there and I'm allergic to seafood. For some reason though, pictures of the fjords, the Northern Lights, and happy, smiling, progressive people have always bounced through my head whenever I think about that (almost) Arctic region of the world.

Now, I'm not big on expectations when I travel. If you expect certain things to happen while you travel, you are basically setting yourself up for disaster. Right now, the only plan is to travel through Denmark, Sweden and Norway and have a good time. I'll stay in hostels, crash at peoples' places, and purchase a 2 week train pass. Everything after that will be a nice surprise.

I will say, however, that it's impossible not to get an image in your head of what things will be like when you visit a new place. I have just 3 small, completely reasonable requests:

1) I have to see the Norwegian fjords - and they have to be giant, other-worldly and fascinating. I pretty much want them to be the most beautiful things I've ever seen. No pressure. Basically, I can't "af-fjord" to compromise on this request. (Man, "fjord" jokes never get old.)
2) I need to see at least one giant mass of (naturally) bright blonde haired and blue eyed people in Sweden and not feel scared. See in my head, I feel like this is normal in Sweden. As opposed to here where I would think I accidentally stepped into a Dr. Laura guest-speaker series or a Christian "service" sorority house.
3) I must ride a bike in Copenhagen and NOT fall off it, annoy people, or get a ticket of some sort. Bike riding is the main mode of transport in the 'Hagen (we're close) and I would like not to make a tourist-y fool of myself doing it. Note to self: must find hunky Danish boy to help teach me how to ride a bike once I suddenly forget.

I feel like that's not a lot. I mean, just grant me these three wishes and I'll be happy.

All in all, I'm very excited for this trip. I love to travel and for me it's a priority. People always tell me they're jealous or they wish they could travel. Well, here's my advice - don't be jealous, just do it. If you really want to travel you should. It can be cheap (give up a few things for a few months and you'll have enough money for your entire trip, I guarantee it). As long as you make it a priority in your life, you have no excuse. Don't be scared - people travel everyday and most of them don't get hurt. Foreigners are our friends, America!

Well, it's back to the guide books for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment