Thursday, December 10, 2009

Song of the Year: "In These Arms" by The Swell Season

Ladies and gentlemen, my favorite song of 2009: "In These Arms" by The Swell Season.

The Swell Season's latest album, "Strict Joy" is a life changer. A few years ago, I saw the movie "Once" starring these two - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova - and was moved beyond belief. I still count it as one of my top ten favorite films of all time. The songs from the "Once" soundtrack are the most played in my iTunes, with some songs having been played over 200 times. It's a little obsessive, really. But the songs never get old or ruined by too much play.

I don't like introducing songs I truly love that much because they really need no introduction. So, Happy Holidays - here's a gift for you.

1 comment:

  1. They played at the Paramount a few weeks ago and were amazing live! This is one of the songs that I just sat there with my eyes closed and felt the music and their voices. I love the power and passion in Glen's voice. They played 2 or so covers, and they're encore was like 4 songs long so it was a treat! Oh, and Glen even played with his favorite guitar, the one with the massive worn away hole in it that he played in the movie! That made me smile when I noticed it lol. What was really incredible about their show is that Glen saw a girl busking on the streets in Seattle earlier that day and invited her to play a song during their show. I thought that was really amazing of him. Can you imagine playing on the streets one day and then suddenly get invited to play at the Paramount? I saw the girl outside after the concert and talked to her briefly and bought her CD. She said she was shaking when she went onstage but she played beautifully and I love the 70's air in her voice. This is her... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7VuLigmX84

    ReplyDelete